Monday, February 2, 2015

1960s Doppelgangers

 I've always felt like I was born in the wrong era.  I'm not a millenial.  I'm old fashioned.  I love vintage style.  I just never felt like I belonged here.  In reality, I'm glad that I live in this day and age because I do appreciate the opportunities and advantages that I have and I know that I can still maintain a relationship with the past...or with my past self.


Is it just me, or does this 1960s fashion illustration bear a striking resemblance to yours truly?


  I believe in past lives and I take comfort in thinking that maybe another version of me did get to live through my favorite eras and that's why I'm so drawn to them in my current state.

Here's another example of a 1960s doppelganger.  Back in 2010, I did a project where I drew a self portrait every month for a whole year.
That spring, I did a couple of sketches out of a 1960s sewing magazine.


I know, for cute!


A couple months later in June, when looking through my sketchbook, I noticed that my drawing of this woman looked surprisingly like me.
This is mostly due to the fact that I had been drawing myself a lot at the time, but even if I hadn't been so focused on my own image, most people, when drawing somebody else tend to subconsciously adjust features to be more like their own because that's what they're familiar with.  I also changed the color of the shirt to be red instead of blue based on my own style preferences and I didn't indicate that she was blonde.  All of these subtle adjustments to make the drawing my own actually made it a drawing of me.
After five months of self-portraits, I was a little sick of drawing myself, so I said "perfect" and used it for my June self-portrait.


The one tell that this is not an actual drawing of me is the fact that she's wearing shorts.

While this isn't quite the same as a doppelganger because the actual model doesn't look like me, it's an example of how I identify with this era and subconsciously incorporate myself into it.

Anyone else feel drawn to a certain time in history?  Or have you ever found your doppelganger when looking through old photos or magazines or while watching old movies?

No comments:

Post a Comment