Friday, April 29, 2016

On Becoming Little Edie

Ever since my last haircut I've had an increasing number of bad hair days. I still get lots of compliments on my hair, but I'm not happy with it. I find myself battling a cowlick in the back that never existed before along with other hair drama. I don't know why this is happening, but it is. 
To alleviate the stresses of bad hair, I've come to rely on scarves. Scarves are not new to me. Tying a scarf in my hair as a fashion accessory has been a go-to Spring/Summer look for me for a couple of years now. It's only recently that I'm covering my entire head of hair in a scarf, accented by a big bow, brooch or flower. What I find interesting is that even though the reason for the scarf is to cover up the unsightly mess underneath, there's something glamorous about a head wrapped up in fabric. 
My new look reminds me of the movie Grey Gardens. I feel a fondness towards Little Edie. She lives in squalor, is held back by her mother, her hair is falling out, but that doesn't stop her from being fabulous. 
Of course, she's completely delusional, but who cares. It's all about attitude.


A friend asked me today, what it is about these jeans that make my legs look so long. I told her that my legs actually are long, but it helps that these jeans reach the ground even when I'm wearing heeled boots. There is a current trend that I'm not into, which is cropped wide-bottomed pants (wide-legs & flares). If you want to make your legs look super short, wear these.

Here's another yellow and black ensemble. The colors in this photo are way off. That sweater is actually a light yellow and white. I had to darken it up so that you could see the gray hounds tooth pattern on my skirt. Oy, I'm not so good with photo editing. Cute outfit though.

Since I started this blog, I've had a number of people ask me about this place called My Sister's Closet. "Is it actually your sister's closet or what's the deal?" No, I do not have a sister who's closet supplies me with endless amounts of fabulous clothing. My Sister's Closet is a store with two locations in the Twin Cities. They are consignment and they specialize in quality women's clothing and accessories, modern and vintage, at reasonable prices. I love this place. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, the prices are appropriate and the inventory is well-curated. Check it out next time you find yourself on Grand Ave or in Uptown. I dare you not to find something amazing.

I wore purple today in memory of Prince. I have yet to put into words the impact this news had on me, but I don't think I need to. Literally everyone I know and don't know has written about their feelings on the loss of the purple one and my sadness and devastation echos theirs. My heart is heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment