Monday, January 19, 2015

Winona Style

Back in October, I was in a play in Winona, MN.  It was a prohibition play set in 1922 and I played the singer in the speakeasy.  No lines, thank god.  It was a great experience and my costume was fabulous.
I spent the week at my in-law's house and while I was there I took the time to draw my outfits.  After the play, I was too busy with whatever it was that I was busy with and never got around to posting these drawings.  So, here they are now.

Wednesday

This sweater dress is too small for me, but it does not stop me from wearing it because despite being too small, it's absolutely perfect.  I wear it as a tunic and usually pair it with a jacket so you can't tell how short the sleeves are.

Thursday

Love this tank top.  I enjoy buying t-shirts at rock concerts, but it's rare that they become a staple in my wardrobe.  This one is in very heavy rotation.
That sweater has seen better days.  It's a vintage letter sweater that belonged to my best friend in high school.  She ended up giving it to me and since then I've replaced all of the buttons (mis-matched, of course) and sewn up the armpits several times.  If I want it to be around much longer, I've got to learn how to patch pits.

Friday

Opening night of my play.

Saturday

The colors in this dress are, in reality, a lot more subdued than they are in this drawing.  Even though I pointed that out, I still think that this outfit is a bit much.

The Bootleg Blues

Here is my costume for the play, The Bootleg Blues.  Instead of utilizing the costume designer for the play, I found this dress by utilizing a costume designer here in the cities.  It's a sheer dress covered in black and gold beading that you wear over a white slip.  While the dress is drool-worthy, it's completely annoying to wear.  It hung too low and the straps kept falling off my shoulders.  I fixed this by wearing this shawl and a gigantic and uber-heavy beaded necklace.  I was also constantly afraid of snagging it on something and covering the floor with beads.  I love the look of 1920s fashion, but find it too fussy in practice.

And here, for the first time on this blog, an actual picture of myself...on the set of The Bootleg Blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment