Sunday, February 1, 2015

Friend Fashion Faux Pas


This dress is my latest find from my new favorite store Poppy.  They are currently having a clearance sale and I popped in hoping to find another one of those black spandex dresses that I adore at a discounted price.  They did not have the black dress, but they did have plenty of other cute items and I proceeded to go through the racks, filling my arms with beautiful frocks.  When I tried everything on, I discovered that this neon leopard print dress was the winner.  The print is adorable, the colors are lovely, the fit was perfect and I had to have it.  But, there was something nagging in the back of my mind...something about it...something oddly familiar.  Never mind, I shoved that feeling aside, I bought the dress and I wore it.  The next day, I told my best friend all about my new find and couldn't understand why her face slowly changed from interested to enraged.  Turns out she owns the same exact dress.  She bought it after I urged her to check out my new favorite store and then, like a jerk, I turned around and bought the same dress.  I realized that it seemed familiar to me because I had seen a snippet of the fabric in one of her instagram photos. 

Oopsies.  

This is one of those stereotypical girl nightmares.  We all want to be our own unique snowflake, but then our dreams get crushed when some other girl shows up to the party wearing your "one of a kind" dress.  It happens.  It happens to me all the time.  I have a co-worker with very similar tastes as I do.  In fact, we own the exact same pants and boots and often wear them on the same day.  It doesn't help that the pants are bright orange corduroys.  It's a bit conspicuous.  It doesn't bother me though.  I find it funny and a bit comforting.  It's as if we woke up and had this psychic communication saying "hey, I feel connected to you today, let's express it with our ensembles".  Or, maybe that's just me.

It's definitely just me because that is not how my best friend feels.  I thinks it's cute that we own the same dress, but I'm going to make a conscious effort to not wear it when I hang out with her.  With my vast and varied wardrobe, I think that's completely doable.

No comments:

Post a Comment